7 tips on how to read the Bible

Hi Friends,

Today I will be sharing some tips that have helped me to read the Bible more seriously. I have attempted to read the Bible several times and I think the main mistake I made was reading the Bible as if it was an ordinary book.










Before you read the Bible you should know that the Bible is a holy book God has given us. It is the way he communicates with us to help us with:

*Counseling
*guidance
*Direction
*Instruction
*Correction
*Teaching
*Training

The Bible says in Hebrews 4:12

'' For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.''

Whatever we go through, the Bible says that the word is alive and active. The Bible answers our questions and helps us in our lowest point of our lives.

The Psalmist writes in Psalm 119:105:

''Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.'' 

So lets get unto the tips, shall we?

1. Make an appointment with God 


When we are running late for an appointment we are devastated, we do anything to come on time and if we arrive we apologize 100 times. We should have this kind of behavior with God as well. We should have a time in a day where we the Bible and stick to it. This could be in the morning before you go to school/work. This could be in the afternoon during lunch time, or in the evening before you go to bed. I personally prefer to read the Bible before I go to bed when all my homework is done.

TIP: Write your appointment with God in your diary or set a reminder on you phone or iPad/tablet








2. Make yourself comfortable



It is important that you have a calm mind before reading the Bible. Just as praying, reading the Bible is a way God is communicating with us. If we have a calm mind, environment and we feel relaxed it will be easier for us to hear God speaking to us. This could be taking your make-up off, taking a hot shower, change into comfortable and loose clothes, sitting in a relaxing environment and have a hot cup of tea.






3. Pray before you read


As I said earlier, reading the Bible is not just reading an ordinary book. It is communicating with God. The Bible says in John 1:1

'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God'

Everything we read in the Word of God comes directly from God and that is what we need to realize.
Before we read the Bible we need to pray that God will reveal himself to us and that He will reveal the true meaning of the Bible to us. Also, that He will give us the wisdom, knowledge and understanding to understand the Bible scriptures and that He will give us the ability to put what we have read in practice.




3. Highlight as you go


Some people disagree with highlighting in the Bible, but I don't as is makes it easier for you to memorize your scriptures and you can also find a scripture easier. I bought a journaling Bible last year November and I love it as it gives me the ability to be creative in my Bible. I noticed that I pick up my Bible quicker, because it is fun.



4. Write your favourite

verses down


I write my favourite verses down in a notebook and I use the S.O.A.P. method to write down what the scripture means to me and how I can apply it in my life. I also like to draw my favourite verses in my journaling Bible.










5. Carry your Bible with you


If you carry your Bible with you, you are more likely to grab your Bible on your way. This way when you have a break at work or school or even if you are on your way on the bus/train you can read the Bible. If you have your Bible on you, you can use this to preach the gospel as well. I don't carry the book, but the Bible app. I use YouVersion. It is a well-known Bible app, You can read the Bible, listen to it, highlight, make notes, start a Bible plan on all sorts of topics and you can even add friends to see what they have
highlighted or what Bible plan they have started, you can also comment on what they are doing, just like Facebook! How cool is that! This app is available for Ipad, Iphone and Android. 






6. Memorize the Bible



For me, the easiest way to memorize scriptures is to write them down in my journal or diary or to install the scriptures as backgrounds. I get my backgrounds from Pinterest and install them on my phone and iPad. I always like to paste a memo sticky note on my background, which is possible if you have a Samsung, as it reminds me of my favourite scriptures whenever I unlock my phone.


7. Read the Bible with friends


If your read the Bible with friends you can discuss the Bible scriptures and ask/answer any questions you have. You can back up your debates with Bible scriptures and it is just fun. What I like to do with my friend is ''finish the scripture''. I will start a Bible scripture and my friend has to finish it. For example: For God so loved the world that....
This is my favourite tip so far as it is good to know that you are not alone. You can even start your own Bible group, meet up ones a week and bring some delicious snacks over and just do what is pleasing unto the Lord.
If you are having any difficulties choosing something fun to do then you can search on the Internet. You can find a lot of activities you can do. 

I hope these tips were helpful :)

Remember:




















God Bless,

Beatrice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.